Last week, K.Lo received her first cookbook, called "Kids in the Kitchen: Recipes for Fun," by Gooseberry Patch. The book is spiral-bound with clever, boldly colored illustrations filling every page, which are all made from heavy card-stock. Basically, it is very small-employee-friendly, and The Manager finds it fun to look through, too. 


The recipes are all laid out simply, nothing looks particularly difficult to make, and they all look like foods small employees would enjoy eating and making with the Kitchen Staff. 

A sampling of recipes from each category. 
Breakfast: Breakfast Banana Split, Toad in the Hole
Anytime Snack: Baked [not fried!] French Fries, Ham & Cheese Roll-Ups
Dinnertime: Texas Straw Hats, Round 'Em Up Hot Dogs
Desserts: Snickerdoodle Cookies, PB&J Milkshakes
Just for Fun: Giant Bubble Mix, Barking Buddy Dog Biscuits, Goopy Goo

This morning, the Kitchen Staff whipped up the recipe for Sunny Honey Granola with some measure of success, and I will share the recipe here. Improvements I will make the next time are as noted. 

SUNNY HONEY GRANOLA 
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup slivered almonds [I omitted these for the sake of the two-year employee]
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup raisins
non-stick vegetable spray

1. Mix oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, and coconut in a mixing bowl. *Because I omitted the nuts, I put in more sunflower seeds and also more raisins at the end. 

2. Stir honey and oil together in a measuring cup and then combine with oat mixture. 

3. Spread out on a sprayed baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden. *Next time I'll make sure to use the biggest cookie sheet we have, to really spread the mix out as much as possible. Also, my personal preference is for the mix to be a little less well-done than mine came out, so I'm thinking closer to 20 minutes instead of 30. Well that, and the CFO needs to go ahead and approve a new heating element for the oven already, because The Lo. Co. oven temperature is just plain wonky. Another matter entirely. 

4. Pour into a clean bowl and stir in raisins. *Transfer to some small Tupperware containers for on-the-go snacking, and don't worry that it's more goopy than crunchy when you pull it out of the oven. Give it an hour, and it will be crunchy, and pretty tasty, too. 

5 , , Read More
5 peanuts:
  1. Andria says:

    What a fun employee manual. I am sure K.Lo finds it very inspiring and wants to help out in the kitchen more.

  1. Ruby says:

    Mmm... Sounds very tasty! I can see the helpfulness written all over our emplyees faces with that book around!

  1. ashley says:

    Could you email me the giant bubble mix? Anna and Justin are allergic to a chemical in most bubbles, and Dillon loves to blow bubbles. Eva's been trying to find a homemade recipe that works as well as the store-bought variety. Thanks, Most Helpful Manager!

  1. Andria says:

    Ashley - I think just using dish soap can create bubbles. I remember we'd get some and even be able to use our hands to blow bubbles.

  1. penelope says:

    Yup, I'm out of town for a few days, and I'll email it to you when I get back--or post it. I think it's got a few more ingredients plus the dish soap.