A fellow company owner confessed recently in comments that she corrects her employee in certain word pronunciations so that she has an accent, which I find highly amusing. I worked at a company in upstate New York for 18 years, and now run a company in the South, so I can't help but wonder what sort of accent my employees will adopt. Will they take after Management, or will they pick up on pronunciations used by local companies and training facilities. K.Lo, as previously noted, loves to say, "Shake and bake," and stretches out this particular phrase with quite a drawl. Also, more recently, K.Lo and I have created a new game that we play quite a bit on the Day Shift. The dialogue goes like so:

K.Lo: Hi, Mommy.

The Manager: Hi, K.Lo.

K.Lo: Hey, Ma-ma.

The Manager: Hey, K.La.

K.Lo is very entertained by her name switch--as am I. I know most of her colleagues call their managers "Mama," and I imagine that's who she picked it up from. What I most love is when K.Lo steps up the game a notch by dropping her voice and pushing out her lips in a fake-pouty way to say, "Hey, Ma-ma," in a super-drawl. Ah, K.La. Where does she come up with this stuff.

2 , , , Read More
2 peanuts:
  1. Ruby says:

    I can speak from experience that no matter what kind of accent you have at home, it will get trampled by those around you!

    Maybe you should give in to the drawl youself? :)

  1. Andria says:

    I do the same thing with Dellaina - she normally calls me "Mama," but started calling me "Mommy" and when she does it repeatedly (in rapid succession), I start responding with "Dellainy" each time and she thinks it's pretty funny.